Monday, June 06, 2005

Our Biggest Drawback

The greatest commandment stated in the Bible is not that we become perfect or constantly righteous. It's not to preach or go to church 7 days a week. It's the easiest thing that anyone can do and yet we rarely do.

When we say we love someone it's usually because they are lovable. I would say family but there are alot of people who really don't love their family. Most people love the person who does for them. They love the person who is good looking. They love the person who is cool. When was the last time you told someone you hardly knew, who were the totally opposite of you that you loved them? When was the last time you showed love to someone that you hardly knew or just didn't fit in your description of what you think a good person is?

Christian and sinners alike have all heard the saying "God loves you" but they rarely understand the impact. Just think of how many times God has looked upon you and could've realized that you just wasn't what he thought you would turn out to be. What if He stopped loving you for that? But he doesn't. He loves the most messed up, most ugly, most miserable person, because to Him we are all like diamonds. Everyone of us is made by Him and we should treat each other as so.

I recently allowed my sister-in law to move in with us in our new home. She has been thrown out by many other family members because she simply didn't live up to their expectations. I caught myself griping about her this morning but then realized that that wasn't walking in love. God doesn't gripe about us when we dissapoint Him and I am going to show more love toward her and her daughter. I pray that eventually she excepts Jesus as her personal Lord and savior. I am going to shine my light toward her no matter how hard things get between us. I had a problem with her keeping her stuff on my porch(it's an inner porch before you get to the outside, it's large and beautiful) but I changed my mind and told my husband that she can feel free. It wasn't going to hurt any.

Anyway, Jesus said the greatest commandment is to love the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul and to love your neighbor as yourself. Not only the nice neighbor or the pretty neighbor or the only neighbor that was nice to you, all your neighbors. It also says in the Bible that you can not love God who you have not seen when you don't love your brothers whom you have seen.(1 John 4:20) Makes sense? I am going to start walking in love much more then I have been and I hope you do too.

No comments: