Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Faith vs. Fear

I am a person you would say has been and sometimes still is crippled with fear. I had a long list of fears, but glory be to God that list is getting shorter and shorter. I was terrified of dogs, any dogs, not just the big ones. I was terrified of swimming and roller coasters. I shivered and ran with all my might whenever I would cross a busy street. I am slowly working up my courage to drive.

The first time I realized that I was in direct conflict with God and His word was when I read 1 John 4:18. I knew God was love, His greatest commandments are to love Him and to love each other but this scripture showed me that I could not love with fear in my life. I decided then and there I had to change the way I lived and get in control.

Matthew 14 describes how the disciples saw Jesus walking on the water in the midst of an immense storm and Peter didn't allow fear to stop him from doing one of the greatest things in his life. He defied human nature, all because he wasn't afraid. Some pastors and other christians use this story to demonstrate faith and how Peter failed because he saw the storm and lost his faith. That is true, but no one really touches on the other 11 failures in the boat. They were even bigger failures because they didn't try. They missed out on something that could've been astronomical in their lives all because they were afraid.

Fear also gets in the way of the purpose that God has for you. I know I needed to get over my fear of rejection so that I can write and share the word with you. If I continued to be afraid of what people thought I would never have this blog, I would never witness. I believe Satan thrives on fear and we can't let him. You can not have faith and fear at the same time. How can you say you believe God will bless you, if you are afraid to tithe? How can you say that God loves you if you are afraid to take a step forward in life. If you believe God is there for you guiding you and helping you then you should have no reason to be afraid.

Now don't go running out and jumping off a cliff. Remember in Matthew 14:28, after Jesus announced that it was Him walking on the water Peter said, "if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water." Which means if it's you, command me to come out on the water with you. Peter didn't just leap out of the boat, he wanted to make sure it was Jesus and he wanted to make sure that he was commanded. If you are drawn to do something that will uplift, edify and glorify the works of Christ then pray about it. If you still feel drawn to do it, then do it. Don't let fear stop you. If Peter never took the time to walk out on the water, he would've missed out on an awesome learning opportunity, a learning opportunity that people still learn from hundreds of years later.

Well back to me and my fears, I have prayed over everything I am afraid of. I will not let fear stop me from doing good works and to celebrate the life God has given me. If you are someone who is crippled with fear both big and small then pray about it.

No comments: