Sunday, June 04, 2006

Humiliation...A good thing

Last week I got in a fight with my brother. The first time he saw me he began to verbally bash me. I did nothing to provoke this. I tried to ignore him but eventually let my anger get the best of me *big mistake* next thing I know we are in a shouting match and everyone is taking his side! At first I was so angry and frustrated but then my dad lectured me. He said that I should know better then let my brother get to me, that God wants us to always humble ourselves and stay in love. I couldn't believe this! My dad, who smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish and the last time he went to church Moses parted the red sea was preaching to ME! But then I had to check myself and my thoughts. He was right. I was humiliated at my weakness. Even though humiliation is seen as a bad thing God doesn't think of it that way. He doesn't want anyone thinking they are better then anyone else. We are children of God, yes, but we are to work towards saving others and putting others needs above our own. It says in Ephesians 4:2, "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." If I could do it all again I would've met my brother's harsh words with gentle ones and I would've reacted in love. But I had to feel like I had to win and to "one up" him and that was what caused me to become humiliated. God will humble you and teach you when He finds you thinking you are above another person.

But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things -- and the things that are not -- to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him.
1 Corinthians 1:27-29

No comments: