Monday, June 12, 2006

Worldly Wise Vs. Truly Wise

I was thinking about my wisdom series I blogged in April and what the Bible says on being wise. If you remember, the first thing about being a wise person is fearing the Lord. But many famous people that are considered wise because of money they have made or business decisions or fame they have been given do not fear the Lord or the words in the Bible therefore in God's eyes they are not truly wise. Sure, they may have donated alot of money or may be able to say the most insightful things but if they don't have Christ in their heart they are not of God and they are not truly wise. Stop to think about who you admire. Does that person honor God and His words? If not, God doesn't consider them wise. Oprah Winfrey is known to be a very wise woman. She has changed many lives, but I have never heard her speak of Jesus Christ. I never heard her say that Jesus is the way the truth and the life. I know I have heard Oprah speak on meditation(a commonly known buddhist practice) and finding yourself but I have never heard her talk about finding God. (I have heard her mention a "higher power" but she never says what she believes that is) Maybe I'm wrong, but if the most influential woman of this world is not saved then she is not wise in God's eyes. Sounds harsh? Not really, everyone has the opportunity to become wise and to accept the gift God has so graciously given He doesn't hold that back from anyone no matter how many mistakes or what they previously believed.
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline

Hosea 14:9 Who is wise? He will realize these things. Who is discerning? He will understand them. The ways of the LORD are right; the righteous walk in them, but the rebellious stumble in them.

Matthew 21:31-32 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

No comments: