Tuesday, February 21, 2006

What stands out

I know many has said, Telika what you say is ridiculous. You can't just go around loving everyone, you have to find a reason to love someone. They have to deserve your love.

Is that what God says? Is the greatest commandment to love one another or love those deserving of it? Let's look,

Mark 12:30-31 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Love him with all your mind and with all your strength.'And here is the second one. 'Love your neighbor as you love yourself.' There is no commandment more important than these"

and in John 13:34-35 Jesus says, "I give you a new command. Love one another. You must love one another, just as I have loved you. If you love one another, everyone will know you are my disciples." How did Jesus love us? He sacrificed for us despite our sins. We were deserving of death and Jesus loved us enough to give us life eternally.

Still need to see more? Romans 13:9 sums up love as the ultimate rule to follow, "Here are some commandments to think about. "Do not commit adultery." "Do not commit murder." "Do not steal." "Do not want what belongs to others." These and other commandments are all included in one rule. Here's what it is. "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." Love does not harm its neighbor. So love does everything the law requires.

So when you are walking in love instead of debating, scoffing, judging, pointing your finger, and thinking you are better you are doing everything the law requires. All those rules and commandments in the Bible can be followed just by walking in love!

There are many more scriptures in the Bible that prove my point but I'm going to end on some well known and used ones that many use for weddings and have hung up on their walls but don't think about when they are faced with others that really rub them the wrong way.

1 Corinthians 13:1-8, 13
"Suppose I speak in the languages of human beings and of angels. If I don't have love, I am only a loud gong or a noisy cymbal. Suppose I have the gift of prophecy. Suppose I can understand all the secret things of God and know everything about him. And suppose I have enough faith to move mountains. If I don't have love, I am nothing at all. Suppose I give everything I have to poor people. And suppose I give my body to be burned. If I don't have love, I get nothing at all.
Love is patient. Love is kind. It does not want what belongs to others. It does not brag. It is not proud. It is not rude. It does not look out for its own interests. It does not easily become angry. It does not keep track of other people's wrongs.
Love is not happy with evil. But it is full of joy when the truth is spoken. It always protects. It always trusts. It always hopes. It never gives up.
Love never fails. But prophecy will pass away. Speaking in languages that had not been known before will end. And knowledge will pass away.

The three most important things to have are faith, hope and love. But the greatest of them is love. "


No comments: