Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Doormat

I have been having a hard time accepting my sister-in-law's prescence around the house. She's older then me and my husband so I guess she thinks that she doesn't have to follow any rules or ask for anything of ours that she uses. She's even left her daughter for me to take care of while she's at work without even asking. I have been allowing myself to become worked up about this.

"God, I know I have to be nice and giving and loving but do I also have to be a doormat?" I would often ask in my frustration.

This has been going on for about 3 months until this morning while I was doing my Bible study I came across 2nd Corinthians 6:4-10

"but in everything commending ourselves as servants of God, in much endurance, in afflictions, in hardships, in distresses, in beatings, in prisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in hunger, in purity, in knowledge, in patience, in kindness, in the Holy Spirit, in genuine love, in the word of truth, in the power of God; by the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and the left, by glory and dishonor, by evil report and good report; regarded as deceivers and yet true; as unknown yet well-known, as dying yet behold, we live; as punished yet not put to death, as sorrowful yet always rejoicing, as poor yet making many rich, as having nothing yet possessing all things. "

I saw that scripture as God's answer to me. So what if I am a doormat! I am blessed because I serve. By serving others I serve God. Should I complain? For all God has done for me, dealing with others and becoming a doormat is the least I could do. After all, He gave His life for men( and women) that hated him, used him and still to this day blaspheme and don't believe Him. If Christ would have walked away screaming, "I will not be a doormat to these people!", we would have all been in trouble.

Give Glory to God!

1 comment:

La Shawn Barber said...

Excellent post, Telika. This is something Christians can't be reminded of often enough. We focus so much on ourselves and how we feel, we forget about the love and patience Jesus shows us DAILY.