Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Are you dating the church?

The book, Stop Dating the Church! Fall in Love with the Family of God. http://www.wtsbooks.com/1590523652.html Is a great read for anyone who has not found their nitch in the House of God. It is harder for someone who attends a large church to really find their place but it can be done.

I attend a large church and at first I was the one who was a "casual dater". I would arrive on Sunday listen to the sermon, throw a few smiles occcasionally and leave. That was it, that was what I contributed to my family. Until one day when I noticed a woman who seemed tired and overwhelmed by her children. She was young, like me, and she seemed lost. I could've threw another smile her way and kept going, but instead I approached her. I complimented her on her children and told her about mine. I told her that God loved her and I did too. She became so excited. She told me how she just became a Christian and had to do away with her old friends who didn't support her new life. She had just prayed that God would find her a friend. We are still good friends to this day. You never know who you will touch if you just take part and reach out.
Is there a ministry you can join? That's also a wonderful way to contribute. Find you talents and what you enjoy and put them to use for the glory of God. Start a personal Bible study and invite others to your home. God loves the church! That is His home and ours, and we should stop treating it like a one night stand, but as a closely knit marriage.

No comments: