Monday, November 27, 2006

The gift of Prophesy

I am going to take the next few blogs to discuss the different gifts God has given His children in Christ and how they affect our lives. I decided to start with the gift of prophesy because of a pastor from Moody Bible Institute I heard speaking on the radio this morning. He said something I didn't agree with. He talked about when people come up to you and say that God has told them to tell you something or when you feel if God is talking to you that you should second guess it and that you should rely on the Bible. Now I do believe that you should read your Bible and pray about a fellow Christian brother or sister's message but I don't think we should be close minded to messages from others because it says in 1 Corinthians that through the Holy spirit there are some who are given gifts of prophesy. I think that people in the Bible heard from God more and from prophets more because their faith was stronger. Now-a-days we want to have hard evidence for everything and not trust that God is using someone for the very purpose of helping you grow spiritually. Now I'm not saying believe everything you hear someone say is from God but you shouldn't dismiss everything either. This has only happened to me once, from a woman I met at a women's conference and I knew what she told me was relevant and from God right away but I still prayed about it before I took action and more signs in my life began to follow what she had spoke over me. Not all have the gift of prophesy but is says that God has given some to have that gift.

1 Corinthians 12:4-11 "There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines."


God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will. Hebrews 2:4

Continue reading my blog for the discussion of the next gift and at the end of the gift discussion blogs there will be a blog with a biblical quiz to lead you to your gift.

2 comments:

Esther said...

I would have to agree on that one. Yes you should go to your bible and read for your self but remember dear heart Jesus birth was prophesied way back in the Old Testament. The Bible also talks of prophets. (Ephesians 4:11) states and he gave some apostles; and some prophets; and some, evangelists; ands some pastors; and teachers. This is why you have to arm your self with the word so you can know for your self.
Amen

Unknown said...

I don't think we should close our ears to what people have to say, I do think we should discern thier spirit and use the bible to reconfirm this.